Monday, May 11, 2009

First Impressions of Niamey

Hello Everyone,
Today was Cheikh's first day of work, so Karim and I found a taxi and ventured out on our own. It was so great just to hear Karim, a 3yr old's impressions of what he saw around him. He didn't mention the dust or the occasional foul smell or people begging or even the fact that everyone is black or speaks French. What does he do? He first finds a stick to drag behind him in the dirt. He harasses each person that rides by on a bicycle or a motorcycle without a helmet, which of course was everyone. "where's your helmet, person?!" (sometimes it's good that people can't understand him.) He asked why a boy walking in front of us wasn't wearing shoes. I think he asked because it looked fun for him to walk barefoot in the sand, not because he was actually concerned. It didn't occur to him that the boy didn't own shoes.

Of course in classic African fashion, we achieved nothing today. We went to the French Cultural Center to get our membership cards to the library, but it was closed. We went to the bank to change money, but I didn't have my passport. So, empty handed, we returned to our hotel to call Cheikh to see how his day was going.  He was very excited about his first day but wouldn't give any details. After we chatted for a few minutes, Karim and I returned to our hotel for a swim in the pool. Karim loves his water wings (he can kick around with them without help!) and his beach ball. He says he's Tabby, batting the ball. . . bat,bat,bat. I think he's obsessed with those books!

After our swim, we had lunch in the restaurant. I almost laughed out loud when the waiter handed me the menu with one option and one price. What is this? My Cousin Vinny? So, I ordered "lunch." It was good. Cheikh paid us a quick visit after lunch so we got a few snippets like he has his own office with a bathroom (and shower!) wow. He's a "Grand Patron" now- 3rd in command for MC Niger's whole office! Wow.

Karim slept all afternoon and I read books. I felt pretty lazy and decadent, but I was stuck in the room while K napped, so what the hell. When Cheikh got home, we went to look at two more houses. We have yet to find one we really love, so keep your fingers crossed for us.
Well, I haven't talked to my husband much today, so I'm signing off.  More later. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment