Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cocochouland- Niamey's front yard


Hi All,
I know I've mentioned Cocochou on numerous occasions, but I just can't say enough good things about it. Every Thursday afternoon, mamas (and some papas) flock to the playground with our little tykes. For the equivalent of about two dollars per kid for entry and juice, I get to feel like an accomplished, educated adult (which I like to be reminded of on occasion:) while Karim plays with trucks, trains, and other kids, or at least he spars with them over toys. Families of all different languages and backgrounds gather at Cocochou. Today, I chatted with a German, a Dane, several French ladies. On other occasions I have met Senegalese, Burkinabe and Nigerien women and their kids. In fact, several of my closest friends were found at Cocochou.

When we first found out we were moving here, we scoured the web for things for kids in Niamey and found nothing to give us hope. Luckily, we have found several kid friendly spots to play and build community.

Ode to making friends and building community wherever you are!
Love to All

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karim, wish I could play on the swings with you!
    Love tante petie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! And so much sunnier than it is here today. Glad that you've found such a great gathering spot.
    Love
    g

    ReplyDelete