Thursday, July 23, 2009

Froggie Serenades and Power Coupures

Hi All,

We are knee-deep in rainy season, but without much rain. Two nights ago, we were kept up by the incessant croaking- singing? of frogs in our pool. I thought my buddy was joking when she said they sounded like a car alarm. But no, really, they are loud! So, yesterday morning, our guard netted 4 frogs out of the pool and several long beaded looking strands, which he explained were eggs. eeewww! So, needless to say, I called our pool guy yesterday to come chlorinate the pool, which I suspect he has neglected doing for the past few weeks. Today, we were able to swim again, which was just what K and I needed. And for the first afternoon this week, we also have electricity. For the past few days, the power has been shutting off at lunch time to return at about 5 or 6pm, which seems kinda hinky to me, to lose power everyday when the heat is at its peak. This is why the pool is crucial.
Karim and I have spent a lot of time this week "gardening", which really means ripping out everything I don't want growing in our yard from volunteer mango trees to grass and K pushing it outside in a full sized, John Deere green, wheelbarrow. We earn lunch though and our yard is starting to come into focus a bit.
Last night, K and the guard, Remy, and I had a spirited game of street soccer. K is just like his dad, grabbing my shirt so he can get to the ball first! He's toughening up quick though and his footwork is nothing to sneeze at either. He holds his own pretty well with the 5yr old, Hamir, who he plays with across the street.
It's funny how Love in the Time of Cholera (yes, it is an amazing book) has made me think so much about aging and about mortality. The other day, I met a Nigerien woman who seemed ageless to me, but if I had to guess, I would have said mid forties just by her mannerisms and the things she talked about. In the course of our conversation, I learned that she is actually in her mid twenties. Younger than me and already bored and resigned to life! Wow. That moment shifted my thinking again. Aging is inevitable, but it can be done enthusiastically and it is the energy of our goals and our dreams that keep us vibrant at any age.
I have so many things I want to do, so many projects to plan for and so many things yet to achieve, sometimes the toughest thing is patience. Everything takes so much time, especially here. (Loading a video, for example. Still waiting . . .)

Love to all!

1 comment:

  1. Hey you~
    Seattle just had its hottest day ever (103)--I just laid on the couch and wept, taking an occasional break to count my mosquito bites. The heat made me think of you newly nigeriens!
    Love
    g

    ReplyDelete